Link for medical associations: Here. American medical Association, Pediatrics Association etc..
Four minute video Q & A: HERE, Four minute video. Succint and easy to follow.
LOSING THE MISINFORMATION GAP
BRINGING TOGETHER LGBT’S AND THE CHURCH
A SIMPLE BUT CRITICAL SCRIPTURAL EXPLANATION
(1) THE KEY: Gay orientation was not known in biblical times. Therefore bible references regarding homosexuality have routinely been taken out of context for years. Given the cultural context of the bible – only heterosexual people were being addressed.
(2) LGBT’s do not choose their orientation. This is confirmed by the closing of the “standard bearer” of reparative therapy ministries – Exodus International (They shut down without helping one person. Google it… or simply ask an LGBT that you know if they chose their orientation).
(3) Death spiral: Ministers who believe the orientation IS a choice and adhere to bad scripture are contributing to the wildly high teen suicide rates (8.5 time the avg). They are forcing people to change what can’t be changed and discriminating against LGBT’s
as a result.
(4) “You are a mistake” This perhaps the worst message. Ministers that DON’T see LGBT as a choice but hang on to bad scripture are giving a catastrophic message. The “You are a mistake” message pigeon-holes gays into a solitary life where they are mandated to be celibate (supposed to be a gift and not a punishment) and where they are to live a lonely life without a partner. Even if they are not directly addressed, these LGBT’s can be expected to be discriminated by the church and be forced to live as 2nd class citizens.
Does anyone see Jesus in all of this?
Did you know that the gay orientation wasn’t recognized until 1892?
IT’S TIME. IT IS TIME FOR THE IGNORANCE TO STOP.
IT’S TIME FOR THE “MISINFORMATION GAP” TO BE CLOSED.
LGBT’S AND THEIR ALLIES MUST GET VOCAL AND SAY “STOP.”
65% OF PEOPLE ARE EITHER AN LGBT OR A FRIEND/RELATIVE OF ONE.
IF CHRISTIAN LEADERS REMAIN IGNORANT… THIS VERY BROAD COMMUNITY WILL LEAVE THE CHURCH. PEOPLE WILL NOT STAND IDLY BY AS THEY OR THEIR SON/DAUGTER OR CLOSE FRIEND IS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.
THE GAP WILL CONTINUE TO EXPAND.
PEOPLE WON’T STAY WITH A CHURCH WHERE THEY DON’T FEEL LOVED
AND WHERE SCRIPTURE IS “CHERRY PICKED,” WRONGLY INTERPRETED, AND USED AGAINST THEM.
SO WHO IS SCRIPTURE AIMED AT? RECALL THE GOSPELS WERE WRITTEN IN THE SAME CENTURY THAT THE PERVERSE AND HOMICIDAL DESPOT CALIGULA SERVED AS EMPEROR. CURRENT ERA BIBLE READERS CANNOT SIMPLY LIFT SCRIPTURE OFF THE PAGE. THE GRECO-ROMAN ERA WAS A TIME OF DEBAUCHERY IN WHICH GAY ORIENTATION WOULD NOT BE RECOGNIZED FOR ANOTHER 1800 YEARS (“SLAPP”).
S Slaves (some same sex) and masters had sex
L Lust from heterosexuals could not be contained within marriage and spilled over to same sex relations
A Rape was used as a display of domination. The winners of battles would rape the men from the losing side.
P Prostitution was common among same sex people.
P Pederasty (pedophilia) occurred. Some young boys were castrated so they could remain as desired sex slaves.
28 AFFIRMING VERSES (BELOW) FOR LGBT’S (AND EVERYONE)
WHY AREN’t THESE AFFIRMING VERSES ALSO SHARED?
THE FACT THAT THET AREN’T SHARED OPENLY WITH LGBT’S
SERVES AS PROOF OF BIAS AND BIGOTRY.
In place of the Old Testament law, Christians are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:40).
Now, this does not mean the Old Testament law is irrelevant today. Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies.
(1) GENESIS 19:1-8 (OLD TESTAMENT)
The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. “My lords,” he said, “please turn aside to your servant’s house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning.” “No,” they answered, “we will spend the night in the square.” But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? (they were actually angels) Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.” Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”
1) The two men were actually two angels. See verse 1. Can an angel be raped?
2) There is no mention of homosexuality in Gomorrah at all (as in “Sodom and Gomorrah”).
3) We aren’t told why Sodom is so wicked. The people are never labeled as gay.
4) The entire city could not have been gay. This story is about not helping needy travelers; of immensely poor hospitality.
5) Lot’s actions were worse than anyone’s. He gave up his daughters to be raped.
6) Rape (by heterosexual men) was commonly used at this time to, for example, humiliate those defeated in battle. Submission was seen as sign of weakness. Thus the intent of these villagers was not uncommon. Sadly, this show of domination by virtue of anal penetration is not extinct.
- Penetration is used as a show of force in prisons
- There is evidence of hazing (gone out of control) on high school football teams whereby different objects (broom handles) are anally penetrated into the victim. Again, it is a form of humiliation.
7) The prophet Ezekiel reinforces this image of Sodom as a city without compassion (not a city that was “all homosexual”). Speaking on God’s behalf, Ezekiel says: “Now this was the sin of Sodom. They were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.” (Ezekiel 16: 49– 50)
We cannot rely on certain “homosexual acts” as
evidence of an LGBT orientation. Far from it!
(2) JUDGES 19:22-30 (in Gibeah; OLD TESTAMENT)
22 While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked menu of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him.” 23 The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. 24 Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.” 25 But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. 26 At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. 27 When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. 28 He said to her, “Get up; let’s go.” But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home. 29 When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. 30 Everyone who saw it was saying to one another, “Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Just imagine! We must do something! So speak up!”
1) This almost an exact parallel to Sodom (#1). Same standards apply.
2) Rape is used to show domination and force. It is not about homosexuality.
(3) (LEVITICUS; BOOK OF LAWS IN OLD TESTAMENT))
Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.”
1) Leviticus contains 613 commands intended for Jews and not Christians of the New Testament. The problem with “conservative Christians” that oppose LGBT’s is that they do not take Leviticus in its entirety.
- These folks cherry pick verses that fit their agenda
- They claim either scriptural context or a literal view… whatever serves them.
For example, they fail to examine and apply the following New Testament verses because, for their fail to serve their purposes.
- 1 Corinthians 11:5 “But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.”
- Titus 2:9 “Slaves to be subject to their masters in everything.”
Folks, what we have is a scriptural “shell game” whereby biased (bigoted) church goers pick and choose what verses to use and whether a literal or figurative interpretation is to be used. We need yo stand up to ministers who don’t do their homework. The BOTTOM LINE is all scriptures regarding homosexuality need to be viewed in the context that GAY ORIENTATION was not recognized. It is UNFAIR and BIASED to take any at face value. Push back on the ignorant and the biased the same way other discriminated groups have pushed back their oppressors.
Here are some more crazy Levitical commands that no one expects adherence to:
- Don’t let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)
- Don’t have a variety of crops on the same field. (Leviticus 19:19)
- Don’t wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)
- Don’t cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)
- Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9)
- If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die. (Leviticus 20:10).
- If a man sleeps with his father’s wife… both him and his father’s wife is to be put to death. (Leviticus 20:11)
- If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death. (Leviticus 20:14)
- If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed. (Leviticus 20:15-16). (I guess you should
kill the animal since they were willing participants. Are they crazy?)
- If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be “cut off from their people” (Leviticus 20:18)
- Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death. (Leviticus 20:27)
- If a priest’s daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake. (Leviticus 21:9)
- People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)
- Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community. (Leviticus 24:14-16)
(4) Romans 1:22-32 (NEW TESTAMENT)
Claiming to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man, birds, four-footed animals, and reptiles. 24 Therefore God delivered them over in the cravings of their hearts to sexual impurity, so that their bodies were degraded among themselves. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served something created instead of the Creator, who is praised forever. Amen.
26 This is why God delivered them over to degrading passions. For even their females exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 The males in the same way also left natural relations with females and were inflamed in their lust for one another. Males committed shameless acts with males and received in their own persons the appropriate penalty of their error. 28 And because they did not think it worthwhile to acknowledge God, God delivered them over to a worthless mind to do what is morally wrong. 29 They are filled with all unrighteousness, evil, greed, and wickedness. They are full of envy, murder, quarrels, deceit, and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, arrogant, proud, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, and unmerciful. 32 Although they know full well God’s just sentence—that those who practice such things deserve to die—they not only do them, but even applaud others who practice them.
THE NEXT VERSE IS 2:1. WHAT IS AMAZING IS HOW IT SO OFTEN IS LEFT OUT. IT HOLDS THE “JUDGERS” AS CONDEMNED AS THE“JUDGED.” Romans 2:1 (the very next sentence) says: “Therefore, any one of you who judges is without excuse. For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things.”
TWO QUESTIONS ONE MUST ASK:
(A) WHAT IS THE CONTEXT?
(B) WHO IS THE AUDIENCE?
(See CNN article with Reverend Gene Robinson… (HERE))
(1) Repeated from above… Romans 2:1 (the very next sentence) says: “Therefore, any one of you who judges is without excuse. For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things.” The lesson here is that judging is as bad as the acts themselves. IT IS AMAZING HOW THIS MESSAGE IS LOST. THE “JUDGERS” ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE “JUDGED.”
2) As with all the verses that I cite… the gay orientation was not yet known or recognized… otherwise they would have spoken to it! Therefore these verses cannot be taken literally. The audience was not those with gay orientation.
3) The extraordinarily perverse and despotic madman Caligula was emperor in the first century BC. The verses above in red could be describing an orgy between men and women who partake in anal sex (Check it out… it fits). Either way… what is described there has nothing to do with gay orientation and a committed covenantal relationship between 2 partners.
4) In the strange and lascivious place know as the Roman Empire – almost anything went and may have included idol-worshiping cults that used sex (in sometimes bizarre ways) as part of their worship rituals. Cult temple prostitution, castration, and same-sex sex rites in honor of popular goddesses were all well-known at that time. It was a morally declined time.
5) Cherry picking is taking place as ministers zero in on just the homosexual references and leave out all of the other sins listed. It is “selective enforcement.” Conveniently ignored are sins of covetousness, malice, envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness, gossiping, slanderers, haters of God, insolence, haughtiness, the boastful, inventors of evil, those disobedient to parents, foolish people, faithlessness, heartlessness, ruthlessness. The verses include these sins in the sin cluster and merit the same weight as sexual sin.
6) Women having unnatural relations could refer to women being the submissive partner to their husbands. Anal sex was used as a birth control method.
THE DISCRIMINATORY USE OF VERSES INDICATES ANTI-GAY BIAS.
(5) 1 CORINTHIANS 6: 9– 11 (NEW TESTAMENT)
Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Don’t be deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate (malakoi) nor abusers of themselves with mankind (arsenokoita), nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
This is passage is easily debunked based on translations:
1) “malakoi” means “soft.” In a moral context it was used to describe lack of self-control, weakness, laziness, and cowardice. It was also an all-purpose insult to anything effeminate. Being weak and out of control has nothing to do with having a gay orientation. The 1525 Tyndale translation defined it to mean “weaklings”… and over time its meaning has shifted in lock step with anti-gay bias to where churches deine it to mean homosexual (effeminate men).
2) “arsenokoita” was a word hardly ever used. It could be used to mean same-sex behavior. But what type of behavior? Recall that we are looking back to one of the most perverse and debauched time in history. This word most likely referred to the most common forms of same-sex behavior which included pederasty (pedophilia), prostitution, and sex between slaves and masters. It has also been defined as economic exploitation. It clearly was not meant to be aimed at gay oriented sex between committed and monogamous partners.
Once again, context is critical… just like we see the following verses in the context in which they are written.
– Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything. (Titus 2: 9)
– Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. (1 Corinthians 14: 34)
– Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. (Romans 13: 1)
(6) 1 TIMOTHY 1:10 (NEW TESTAMENT)
THE 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW !!
I have heard the following from the pulpit regarding gays (LGBT)…
“Protest the passage of hate-crime laws. Otherwise we won’t be able to preach the full gospel.”
(Translation: we won’t be able to talk down to homosexuals).”
“The gay men we see in society are the product of being ‘sissy-phied’ by single moms.”
(Absolutely no data anywhere supports this. If it were true… we would expect to see an exploding gay population among black men).
(A well worn and useless statement… but ministers have gotten a lot of laughs from this one. They talk as though there are no gays in the room!)
“Diversity training is bunk. It is up to the gays to accept us.”
(Translation: It is the onus of gays to accept the people who hate them. Interesting.)
“We can hate the sin but love the sinner.”
(Has any gay ever felt any love from this statement?)
“The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin”
(WRONG !!! Homosexuality didn’t exist as a demographic when the bible was written. There was no recognized orientation.)
“The Bible teaches that homosexuality (the act of it) is an abomination”
(True. But why aren’t the 44 other sins focused on? See “New Testament” tab. Talk about selective enforcement!)
I hope this web site provides education, hope, and inspiration
to the LGBT community and their family and friends.